Qualifications for using Japan Rail Pass
Foreign travelers who are visiting Japan from another country for the purpose of sightseeing, under the entry status of “temporary visitor”
Under the “temporary visitor” residence status that is stipulated in Japan’s immigration laws, a stay for the purpose of sightseeing will be allowed for a 15-day period or a 90-day period.
If you want to stay for the purpose of sightseeing when you enter Japan, an immigration officer will affix to your passport a stamp or seal as the “temporary visitor” stated below.
Only people who have received a “temporary visitor” stamp or seal on their passport can claim or use the Japan Rail Pass.
- If you use an automated gate, a stamp or seal will not be affixed to your passport, so please either use a manned automated gate or tell a staff member and then receive a stamp or seal.
- In the event that a person who has a passport from a visa-waiver country stipulated by Japan’s Immigration Bureau will enter Japan as a temporary visitor, a temporary visitor stamp will be affixed. People who have another nationality will be required to apply for a visa before entering Japan.
- If you do not have a status of residence as a “temporary visitor,” you will not be able to claim a Japan Rail Pass even if you have an exchange ticket.
If Japan Rail Pass cannot be used
If you do not have the status of residence of a temporary visitor, even if you purchase an exchange ticket, it will not be possible to exchange it for a Japan Rail Pass within Japan.
The following are the main examples where the Japan Rail Pass cannot be used.
- Long-term stay
- Student visa
- Entertainer visa
- Trainee visa
- Working holiday visa
- Person who falls under the Japan-US Status of Forces Agreement (person related to the military)
- Person who has a diplomatic passport
- Permanent residence or special permanent residence
This qualification for use will be applied to all passengers who use a JR pass, so please submit an order after being sure to confirm that all of the users have qualifications for use. Passengers who do not conform to the use qualification requirements cannot claim or use a JR pass in Japan.
- Please note that in the event that a claim cannot be made because the aforementioned qualifications for use are not fulfilled, a refund will be made as handling of a return.
Japan Rail Pass by DeNA Travel © 2017